There are many reasons that dentists recommend dental implants to relieve tooth loss woes. For starters, they look, function, and feel just like real teeth. There are also many reasons why people have the need to replace missing teeth, from sports injuries and accidents to not growing in correctly. Whatever the reason, dental implants can help you regain confidence in your smile and protect your oral health.
While there are a couple of solutions for replacing missing teeth, implants remain the most popular. A bridge, which is made up of two or more crowns on either side of the missing tooth, is a traditional solution, too. Dentures may also be required if you are missing several teeth. However, dentists usually recommend implants because they can be a lifelong solution.
So what exactly is an implant?
It starts with a small titanium screw placed directly into your jawbone where the root of the missing tooth use to be.. During the healing period this will integrate with the bone, becoming a permanent bond. Once this is complete a crown will be attached that will be indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Within the first year of tooth loss the bone volume starts to shrink and is reabsorbed into the body causing a sunken look in the face. Implants can prevent this and help you maintain a youthful profile.
- You can care for them just like natural teeth, which means no fuss.
- Unlike traditional dentures, implants won’t slip out of place while talking or eating in social situations. Implants are anchored directly to the jawbone, so you avoid any potentially embarrassing situations.
- Replacing missing teeth with implants can help with any problems associated with chewing properly.
- Filing down neighboring teeth is often part of bridges, but with implants those teeth are left alone. This helps with your jawbone’s strength and the overall health of your natural teeth.
- Missing teeth can cause people to stop smiling due to to embarrassment. Replacing them as soon as possible can restore your confidence in each beautiful smile.
What makes a good candidate for dental implants?
With each patient, the process of receiving dental replacements starts with a consultation. We will examine your mouth, jawbone, and gums to determine if you are a good candidate. The good news is that there is no age barrier when it comes to this solution. People of all ages, and with a healthy jawbone, can choose the titanium implant option.
However, there are a few things that may disqualify a patient as a good candidate. Certain diseases and conditions, such as uncontrolled diabetes or individuals undergoing radiation or chemotherapy for cancer, mean that you may require some other medical attention before we can replace the tooth.
If you are suffering from tooth loss, schedule a dental implant consultation with us today and start your journey to a healthier dazzling smile.